Get Outdoors in Alpharetta
We’ve all gained more appreciation for getting outdoors here lately. Fresh air, fitness, and peace of mind? Yes, please! Biking and geocaching? Yep, we’re up for it! Never have alfresco dining and open-air events been more welcomed. Whatever invigorating activities you prefer outside, Alpharetta’s got you covered.
Explore Alpharetta’s Award-Winning Parks
Boasting over 775 acres of park land, trails and lush green space in Alpharetta, everyone can find their outdoor oasis within the city limits. Whether you are looking for a sunny day picnic spot, trails to get in your 10,000 steps, an arboretum to educate and reflect, or a place for the kiddos to get out some energy, Alpharetta parks has something for everyone in your crew.
- Brooke Street Park
- Cogburn Park
- North Park
- Rock Mill Park
- Union Hill Park
- Webb Bridge Park
- Wills Park
- Windward Community Park
Free Outdoor Fitness and Sport Experiences
With award-winning parks, green space galore, and nature paths to explore, Alpharetta’s free outdoor fitness and sport activities offer something for everyone without opening your wallet.
- Calisthenic Park Outdoor Fitness Equipment (located just outside of Avalon on Westside Parkway across from 3rd Street) – Please change to Westside Fitness Park Outdoor Fitness Equipment
- Wills Park Outdoor Fitness Equipment (located behind the Wills Park Recreation Center on Wills Road)
- Free fitness classes at Brooke Street Park, Cogburn Park and Wills Park Pavilion during the warmer months. The city takes the fun indoors at locations like Wills Park Recreation Center, Alpharetta Community Center and Crabapple Government Center during the chillier months. Search our calendar of events to find one that works for you.
- The Big Creek Greenway is an 8-mile long and 12-foot wide paved path for cycling, walking, roller blading, and inline skating along the Big Creek watershed.
- Alpharetta’s award-winning parks have a multitude of walking trails amongst the natural preserve of the parks’ acreage. Revive your spiritual well-being and get back to nature with a trail walk. Want to immerse yourself in Downtown Alpharetta on a walk? Check out the Walk Downtown Alpharetta brochure for a few strolls through the heart of the city.
- In addition to the Greenway, Bike Alpharetta has created multiple bicycle routes on Alpharetta’s streets for cycling fitness. Bring your own bike or rent an electric bike from Pedego Electric Bikes and hit the road routes for a fun way to explore the city.
- While you are exploring Alpharetta’s outdoor scene, get into geocaching around the city. This outdoor treasure-hunting activity is great for groups, families and even individuals.
Outdoor Arts and History in Alpharetta
Escape the day-to-day to find something creative or educational in Alpharetta during your getaway. Here in Alpharetta, you will find an enclave of artistic wonder perfect for sparking your imagination and perhaps even inspiring you to do a bit of creating of your own. Alpharetta’s 150+ year history is on outdoor display too.
- Downtown Alpharetta Arts Walk – Featuring nearly 20 sculptures, the Downtown Alpharetta Arts walk is a curated mix of permanent pieces and temporary installations that will only be in place for about a year. See them all before they go!
- Play Me Again Pianos – This unique artistic offering melds visual and euphonic expression in the form of public pianos that have been restored and turned into fully operational, decorated masterpieces. Alpharetta is home to five of these unique artistic and musical creations at the Alpharetta Arts Center, Cogburn Park, Rock Mill Park, Webb Bridge Park, and Wills Park Equestrian Center.
- Alpharetta History Walk – Journey through time (on foot!) while immersing yourself in Alpharetta’s rich history guided by over two dozen historical markers that boast info and facts about each landmark represented. Feel like taking the history indoors? Visit the Alpharetta & Old Milton County History Museum inside Alpharetta City Hall to learn about the families that were instrumental in the city’s heritage.
Whether it is an farmers market or concerts under the stars, Alpharetta has an array of events that are open-air and able to accommodate social distancing. Below are a few visitor favorites or you can peruse the full list of Alpharetta events.
- Alpharetta Farmers Market
- Matilda’s Music Under the Pines
- Alpharetta Art in Brooke Street Park
- Outdoor Fitness Classes
- Punchline Comedy Nights at Avalon
Outdoor Shopping and Dining
Stroll through the boulevard at Avalon, the sidewalks of Downtown Alpharetta, or the North Point area for shopping at your leisure and alfresco dining galore. Avalon is home to over 60 retailers and two dozen restaurants, all accessible from the boulevard. Downtown features more than 45 quaint boutiques and 40+ chef-driven eateries with patio and rooftop dining. Travel Haynes Bridge Road and North Point Parkway in the North Point District for Talbots, Nordstrom Rack, REI, specialty shops like Honey & Hazel, and more.
Other Alpharetta Outdoor Attractions
Zoom on over to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for fun motorcycle and dirt bike training classes. Whether you are a gear head or simply have a need for speed, there’s heart-pounding fun for anyone aged six years old or above.
Topgolf Alpharetta is the perfect blend of friendly competition and creature comforts. With a delicious menu, climate controlled bays, HDTVs, and a fully stocked bar, Topgolf takes the sport of golf to relaxed new heights (three stories, to be exact).
For the ones who love history or want to honor those who’ve bravely served our country, a visit to the Walk of Memories is a must. Located at American Legion Post 201 and the only one of its kind in Georgia, this memorial pays tribute to veterans, their families, and friends through a walkway of nearly 8,000 bricks inscribed with the names of Georgians who served. Monuments and retired military equipment add to this moving experience.
Alpharetta Hotels for Your Getaway
Alpharetta has 29 modern and upscale hotels to choose from for your upcoming stay, most of which have fitness and swimming amenities on property. Check out our complete hotel list! You can note the amenity icons on each hotel or sort by the filters to find the best one for your crew’s needs.